Pancake Tacos with Cheese and Bacon
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons melted butter
Nonstick cooking spray
8 slices cheddar cheese
8 strips bacon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
6 eggs, whisked
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced
Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line one baking sheet with aluminum foil and one with parchment paper.
2. MAKE THE PANCAKES: In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt to combine. Add the buttermilk, melted butter and egg, and mix well.
3. Heat a large griddle over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, coat it with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Working in batches, scoop ¼ cup of the batter onto the hot griddle (you’ll get 8 pancakes total). Cook until the bottom of the pancake is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes, then flip and cook until golden on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes more. (If the pancake looks too fluffy when you flip it, press it down a little with your spatula to flatten it.)
5. Transfer the finished pancakes to the parchment-lined baking sheet and top each with a slice of cheese.
6. MAKE THE FILLING: Arrange the bacon strips on the foil-lined baking sheet and bake until crisp, 15 to 17 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of cooking time, transfer the baking sheet of pancakes to the oven to warm them and melt the cheese.
7. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and scramble for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
8. To serve, break each piece of bacon in half and place the two halves on top of a pancake. Repeat with all the bacon and pancakes, and then divide the scrambled eggs among the pancakes. Garnish with scallions and hot sauce, if using. Serve immediately.